The Smooth Sac is a stuff sack for small diameter release cords used with various retrievable anchor systems. Small light release cords are primarily used for releasable anchors where weight of the pull line matters like the Smooth Operator. These smaller release cords can also work well with other releasable anchors like Sandtraps and Watertraps. The Smooth Sac is sized for use with 1/8 inch diameter Dyneema cord, generally available from online marine supply shops under the name AmSteel Blue by Samson Rope.
A quick overview of the Smooth Sac Features
- Fold-over-flap allows quick opening and closing with no dangling drawstrings.
- No zippers, buttons, Velcro, drawstrings or any other such items to fail.
- 1000D Nylon and rugged mesh for durability and rapid drainage.
- Flat shape stores easily and prevents rolling down slabs.
- Large outer handle for easy carry and minimized snagging.
- Large inner-handle and small inner tie-in loop both positioned high inside for easy access, fast identification and quick confirmation of tie-in.
To load the Smooth Sac, tie one end of the release cord to the smaller inner tie-in loop, stuff release cord into Smooth Sac, tie remaining end to larger inner handle then fold the flap over to close the Smooth Sac. I typically have a Smooth Operator left on the end of the release cord, so the Smooth Operator just gets shoved into the Sac and the flap folded over without tying the end to the large handle.
When closing the Smooth Sac, it is not necessary to try to work the fabric into a smooth organized shape. One of the fun tricks for quickly getting the Smooth Sac closed is to fold the flap over and not worry about making it neat. Next grab the outer handle with both hands and briskly yank outward to both sides and watch the flap magically smooth out into a neat and tidy closed-up Smooth Sac.
The capacity information lists the comfortably full and overstuffed recommendations when using 1/8 inch Dyneema release cord. Comfortably full means the bag works well with this quantity of release cord. Overstuffed means you can get this amount of release cord in the Smooth Sac but it may become more difficult to open and close easily. On the note of closing and opening easily, the Smooth Sac works best when it contains some pull cord. Opening and closing an empty Smooth Sac can be a little awkward. Load some release cord into the Smooth Sac to make operation easier.
The small Smooth Sac is small enough to that care need be taken when placing the Smooth Operator inside for storage. When using the small Smooth Sac it is helpful to place the Smooth Operator inside the Sac on the front / mesh side of the Sac and not toward the back / fabric side of the Sac. The medium and large Smooth Sacs can have a Smooth Operator placed anywhere but still benefit from placing the Smoothie near the mesh side.
- Materials: 1000D Nylon and rugged mesh
- Weight 4.4oz / 124g
- Dimensions 12.25x10.25 inches / 311x261mm
- Capacity - using 1/8 inch Dyneema release cord, 320ft comfortably stuffed or 500ft overstuffed
- Weight 4.0oz / 112g
- Dimensions 10x10.25 inches / 254x261mm
- Capacity - using 1/8 inch Dyneema release cord, Medium 200ft comfortably stuffed or 280ft overstuffed
- Weight 3.3oz / 93g
- Dimensions 9.x8.75 inches / 227x222mm
- Capacity - using 1/8 inch Dyneema release cord, 140ft comfortably stuffed or 190ft overstuffed
Instructions and other links
Download instructions for Smooth Sac
Download supplemental instructions for stuffing the Smooth Sac